Shank, Jones win GCTCA Flight F doubles crown
FAIRFIELD -The Blanchester girls tennis team wrapped up its play in the Greater Cincinnati Tennis Coaches Association Flight F tournament Tuesday at Fairfield High School.
While matches were still to be completed, the Lady Wildcats will finish no worse than third in the tournament, BHS coach Matt Sexton said.
The doubles pairing of Makayla Shank and Brooke Jones won first doubles, taking the championship match 6-4, 6-4 over Fowler and Baker of Fairfield.
"Brooke and Makayla played very well and deserved to win the first doubles title," said Sexton. "Hopefully that result will prepare them for a strong run at sectionals Thursday."
Sam Collier was runnerup at second singles.
October 1, 2013
@Fairfield High School
GCTCA Flight F results
From matches played Tuesday
1st singles: Amber Fawley lost to Fellinger (Taylor) 8-1. Did not place.
2nd singles: Sam Collier lost to Wray (Fairfield) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3. Finished second.
3rd singles: Alana Florea def. Fischer (Madeira) 8-4. Finished third.
1st Doubles: Makayla Shank, Brooke Jones def. Fowler, Barker (Fairfield) 6-4, 6-4. Finished first.
2nd Doubles: Abby Gundler, Abby Wilson def. Peter-Wanek (Taylor) 8-5. Finished third.
2013 Homecoming Queen
BLANCHESTER - The beat goes on for the Blanchester girls tennis team after a 5-0 win against Batavia in Southern Buckeye Conference action.
The Lady Wildcats are 3-0 in the SBC and 9-0 in all dual matches.
"I'm pleased with how the girls battled through the hot conditions," said coach Matt Sexton. "I was pleased to pick up another huge league win. We're halfway to our goal of winning all of our league matches. We've got another one to focus on Thursday at Felicity."
Sexton said he was especially pleased with Sam Collier at second singles, a 5-7, 6-3, 6-1 winner, and the first doubles team of Brooke Jones and Makayla Shank, 6-2, 1-6, 6-0 winners.
"Sam just got stronger as the match went on," Sexton said. "First doubles have been cruising all year and I think a little adversity helped them find that top level again that they need to be at once tournament time comes around. They finished very strong."
September 10, 2013
@Blanchester High School
Blanchester 5, Batavia 0
• Amber Fawley def. Dana Wahl 6-3, 6-2
• Sam Collier def. Olivia Moon 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
• Alana Florea def. Kristin Carter 6-0, retired
• Brooke Jones, Makayla Shank def. Chloe Rains, Tommie Shearer 6-2, 1-6, 6-0
• Brooke Honaker, Jessica Fugett def. Weitlauf, C. Carter 6-2, 6-0
Beat goes on for BHS girls tennis
The Blanchester girls tennis team remained unbeaten in dual matches with a 4-1 win over Goshen in non-league action Monday at GHS.
The Lady Wildcats are 8-0 on the year while Goshen slips to 5-4.
"I thought we were solid down the lineup again," said BHS coach Matt Sexton. "I'm very happy for Heather (O'Neill) and Emily (Speakman) picking up their first varsity win today against Goshen. They were a bit nervous at first but they settled down and really played well."
With that victory by the second doubles pairing, Blanchester now has 11 players with varsity wins on the year, Sexton said.
Blanchester 4, Goshen 1
• Fah Robbins (G) def. Amber Fawley (B) 6-0, 6-0
• Sam Collier (B) def. Jenna Staehling (G) 6-3, 6-1
• Alana Florea (B) def. Jordanne Hazenfield (G) 6-0, 6-2
• Brooke Jones, Makayla Shank (B) def. Britney Wall, Danielle Craigmyle (G) 6-1, 6-1
• Heather O'Neill, Emily Speakman (B) def. Regan Cravens, Amber Wolfe (G) 6-3, 6-0
Blan girls tennis goes to 7-0
The Blanchester girls tennis team improved to 7-0 with a 4-1 non-league win over Norwood Thursday night at BHS.
"This was a good opportunity to mix our lineup up a bit and I thought we played well," said BHS coach Matt Sexton."Overall, it was a good opportunity to give some girls that had tough matches Wednesday the night off. At the same time, it gave some other kids a good opportunity to compete in the varsity lineup. Depth is a real strength of ours, and that includes girls not normally in our top seven."
Alana Florea was a 6-0, 6-1 winner at first singles. Sexton said Korteney Weber played well despite dropping her second singles match. The coach also said both doubles team had solid performances.
Norwood is 0-6 on the year.
Blanchester 4, Norwood 1
• Alana Florea (B) def. Madeline Roberts (N) 6-0, 6-1
• Sara Lowry (N) def. Korteney Weber (B) 6-3, 6-4
• Heather O'Neill (B) won by forfeit
• Makayla Shank, Brooke Jones (B) def. Liz Isaac, Briana Ireton (N) 6-0, 6-0
• Brooke Honaker, Jessica Fugett (B) def. Heather Distler, Katie Miracle (N) 6-0, 6-1
BHS girls tennis cages Cardinals 5-0
BLANCHESTER -The Blanchester girls tennis team defeated Felicity in an easy Southern Buckeye Conference match Tuesday afternoon.
Four of the five matches ended in 6-0, 6-0 scores.
"Anytime you have a holiday weekend, you want to respond well after a few days off," said BHS coach Matt Sexton. "We played very well. Our biggest challenge is we must continue to work hard and keep improving. Regardless of the score, we must keep working on getting better every day. Complacency is the enemy."
Blanchester is 5-0 overall and 2-0 in the SBC National Division.
September 3, 2013
@Blanchester High School
Blanchester 5 Felicity 0
• Amber Fawley def. Cumby 6-0, 6-0
• Sam Collier def. Moore 6-0, 6-0
• Alana Florea def. Davenport 6-0, 6-0
• Makayla Shank, Brooke Jones def. Kesson, Carnahan 6-0, 6-0
• Abby Gundler, Abby Wilson def. Clark, Irvin 6-2, 6-1
BHS girls edge Western Brown 3-2
MT. ORAB -The Blanchester girls tennis team defeated Western Brown 3-2 Thursday in a non-league match at WBHS.
The win puts the Lady Wildcats at 4-0 in dual matches this season. Western Brown is 7-2.
"I think we played tremendously well all the way through out lineup," said BHS coach Matt Sexton. "Western Brown is the best team in the American Division. Any win against a program as great as they are is a great accomplishment. Their first and second singles are very, very good. I thought Amber (Fawley) and Sam (Collier) both played very well. The scores don't really indicate how close those matches were."
The doubles team of Makayla Shank and Brooke Jones remained unbeaten at 11-0 with a 6-1, 6-4 win.
• Morgan Fischer (WB) def. Amber Fawley (B) 6-1, 6-2
• Hannah Keller (WB) def. Sam Collier (B) 6-1, 6-2
• Alana Florea (B) def. KK Massey (WB) 6-3, 6-2
• Makayla Shank, Brooke Jones (B) def. Barber, Harvey (WB) 6-1, 6-4
• Abby Gundler, Abby Wilson (B) def. Pierce, Boyd (WB) 6-2, 6-2
BHS girls blank EC 5-0
The Blanchester girls tennis team pushed its record to 3-0 here Monday with a 5-0 win over East Clinton in non-league action.
"I think East Clinton deserves a lot of credit in how hard they've worked since county tournament," said BHS coach Matt Sexton. "They have a good group of kids that are well coached and determined to improve. It definitely showed in how they performed."
For Blanchester, the doubles team of Brooke Honaker and Jessica Fugett earned their first career victory at the varsity level.
"I'm happy for Brooke and Jessica picking up their first varsity win. They both played very well," Sexton said.
• Amber Fawley(B) def. Allison Tong (EC) 6-2, 6-1
• Sam Collier(B) def. Marissa Williams (EC) 6-3, 6-1
• Alana Florea(B) def. Krystin Bogan (EC) 6-1, 6-0
• Makayla Shank, Brooke Jones(B) def. Cassie Parks, Kathryn Bogan (EC) 6-1, 6-1
• Brooke Honaker, Jessica Fugett(B) def. Brooke Vineyard, Courtney Graves (EC) 6-2, 6-0
• Heather O'Neill, Emily Speakman (B) def. Courtney Lewis, Mayson Lamb (EC) 8-1
Blan girls tennis blanks Batavia 5-0
BLANCHESTER - Opening its Southern Buckeye Conference schedule, the Blanchester girls tennis team blanked Batavia 5-0 Thursday afternoon.
The Lady Wildcats are 2-0, 1-0. Batavia is 0-1, 0-1.
"I'm pleased to start off league play with a solid victory," said BHS coach Matt Sexton. "I thought we played well all the way down the lineup. Obviously one of our goals each year is to win our league, and this was a good first step in that direction."
• Amber Fawley def. Dana Wahl 6-2, 6-1
• Sam Collier def. Olivia Moon 7-5, 6-1
• Alana Florea def. Tommie Shearer 6-1, 6-0
• Makayla Shank, Brooke Jones def. Clarissa Carter, Sessaley Weitlauf 6-0, 6-0
• Abby Gundler, Abby Wilson def. Kristin Carter, MacKenzie Tucker 6-0, 6-0
BHS girls wins SBC Invitational tennis title
Blanchester doubles players Abby Gundler, Abby Wilson, Makalya Shank and Brooke Jones. Jones and Shank defeated Gundler and Wilson 6-1, 6-3 in the doubles final of the 2013 SBC Invitational Tournament at Blanchester High School. (Contributed Photo)BLANCHESTER - With four of eight participants in the semifinal round, the Blanchester girls tennis team won the 2013 SBC Invitational tournament Monday at BHS.
Monday, August 19, 2013
Email pictures to be included here to firstname.lastname@example.org